Saturday, March 20, 2010

A Strange Sight

Last night when I was lying in bed I could have sworn I heard heavy rain outside, as we have had a few light showers and I thought perhaps the big one had arrived.

But this morning I pulled back the curtains, and the sky was yellow.

Yes, yellow.

It turns out a big sand storm from Inner Mongolia had blown into Beijing and coated everything with a thin layer of fine sand.

Before I came to Beijing I had heard of these sand storms, but never really experienced it before as more trees had been planted to cut down on desertification.

However, waking up to a yellow sky seemed ominous.

A friend of mine remarked that seeing the sky made him wonder if that's the scenery he'd see if he was waking up on Mars.

Eerie.

Walking outside late morning it was very windy and you could taste sand in your mouth. How appetizing.

But later in the afternoon the sand blowing had subsided and the skies cleared up.

Wonder what tomorrow will look like...

No comments: