Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Making Beijing Green... Sort of


From my apartment I can see a giant patch of land across the street from me. And for the past week workers have been digging and moving dirt around -- around the clock. In the evenings I see these lights bobbing up and down. I really don't know what they were doing. But what used to be hills and valleys is now flat.

And along the street (actually it's a boulevard with no lines so drivers make up their own paths down the wide road), some workers planted some trees today. They've put these young trees in small square holes thinking it's enough room for the arbors to grow.

While it's going to make my neighbourhood a bit greener (and shadier), I don't know how long these trees are going to last in those tiny holes set out for them.

May their roots struggle beyond their borders and grow beyond their alloted spots!

No comments: