Thursday, June 25, 2009

Summer Heat

Yesterday and today Beijing has been suffering through a heat wave, with the next few days to be just about as hot.

It hit 40 degrees here two days in a row and lunchtime is just brutal.

While walking outside with an umbrella helps cut down the heat and creates mobile shade, my back gets all sweaty after a 10 minute jaunt.

And eating a hot lunch doesn't help ease the heat either! After eating a bowl of jiaozi or boiled dumplings, my face is dripping and need a tissue to wipe my face.

Luckily I'm not alone.

However, a good cooling tip is not to head to McDonald's for the 2.50 kuai ice cream, or milkshake at DQ, but to the neighbourhood store to get a yoghurt popsicle. It seems strange at first, but once you bite into it, it's a refreshing tart taste that's just perfect for a hot day. But then you have to eat it quickly otherwise it'll start melting all over your hand...

Just a few days ago, evenings were a balmy 18 degrees and you could leave the window open at night with a slight breeze.

But now with higher temperatures, the mosquitos have come to roost and the other night alone I was attacked with many bites on my arms and neck. Vicious insects.

Yesterday I took the bus home, and unfortunately there's no air conditioning. Although the windows were open, hot wind was blowing into my face, so hot, it made me feel groggy and fall asleep. Luckily I woke up just in time to get off at my stop!

Now the air conditioning is on and so is everyone else's... which can only lead to more greenhouse gases and global warming...

1 comment:

ks said...

compare to vancouver we are living in heaven on earth.